Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

I work hard for the Money

After Zach and I got married, I was pretty worried about finding a job in Lancaster.  Getting a surg tech job in general is tricky, but being a recent grad with no experience frightened me.  I gave myself a few days after we got married to actually get my resume caught up and ready to go.  I searched online for surgery centers/hospitals around here.  I had no idea of any of them were even hiring, but I wanted to drop by my resume anyway and introduce myself.  I only dropped my resume off at 2 locations: Antelope Valley surgical institute and a private spine surgeon in palmdale.  I got a call back for an interview with the spine surgeon, so the morning of that interview, Zach and I decided to take a trip to the LA temple to do a session.

On our way, I got a phone call from AVSI wanting me to go in and fill out an application.  I stopped by on our way home from the temple and while Zach sat in the car, I went inside and filled out an application.  This was a Thursday.  After I gave them my application, the office manager told me her supervisor wanted to do a quick interview with me.  She basically gave me the job on the spot, wanting me to start the following Monday.  But I also knew I had another job interview right after! So I accepted slightly knowing I was going to have to make a decision.

I went to the other job interview at the spine surgery center, and the Dr was great! He wanted me to be his private scrub and wanted me to start the following Monday also.  I would be getting paid the same, but had to sit down and weight my options.

I prayed about it, but I knew ultimately that it was my decision.  As much as I would have loved to be a private scrub, I decided to work at AVSI for more experience.  I was hired to be the only scrub tech, but also in charge of sterile processing, ordering supplies, stocking, and helping recover patients on pain management days.  It was a lot to handle!!

But as much as I have loved scrubbing in for those doctors, I have some serious issues with management.  Laura, our office manger, is really hard to work for.  She has serious double standards and is rude about how she handles things.  I just got really fed up with being treated horrible. In November 2014, I put in a two week notice to quit working there.  But after the first week, even though she kept trying to talk me into staying, it took a podiatry dr, dr boghossian to talk me into staying.  He told me I needed to tell Laura how inappropriate she treats me, and tell her not to treat me like crap.  So i did, and I also asked for the two weeks of Christmas off:)  She kindly accepted my offer.  So i stayed!  

But the last Month or so I started getting real fed up with it all over again.  About a month ago, I went in to quit again, but just telling her how unhappy i am, she offered for me to just work part time, so it would give me some time to look for another job and also to relieve stress.  Honestly, it hasn't relieved much stress.  It's been great leaving after only a few hours, but I feel more guilt when I leave and know I have a lot of stuff to do but am relying on someone else to do it.  The worst part is coming in the next day to find that those things never got done and I would just get chewed out for not having them done.  

So even without a new job lined up, I called on a Saturday, (when she couldn't talk me into staying) and told her I was quitting for good.  She atleast recognized that I tried to make it work, and said she noticed how unhappy I have been and could see it in my face.  She told me she just wants me to be happy.  
This is my second week, and yesterday I had an interview with AV hospitals outpatient clinic.  They see a lot of the same Drs, so that helps a lot.  Dr Boghossian is one of my references and he said he felt confident when they called that I got the job.  

I try not to get my hopes up, in case someone else is more fitting for the job.  But regardless I have been so much happier just knowing I won't have to go back to AVSI.  I've even been playing my piano a lot more!! I noticed I play more when I am happier and it makes Zach happier too.

Now it's just a waiting game, and a lot of praying.  Today at work though, Dr. Mahendra, a general/CV doctor I work with, decided to call the director of the outpatient center and give them a good referral too.  I'm totally ok with that!!

I am hopeful something good will happen with all this.  I have learned so much the past few months, and I am grateful for all the Dr.s I have been able to learn from.  Especially in this small area I live in, it really helps to have the dr's have confidence in me.  

I also have to recognize how grateful I am for Zach for putting up with my whiney negativity after coming home from work.  It's so unfair to him to lay out my stresses on him or take it out on him and I just hope that I don't have to put him through any of that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment